2014 Moody 56
Manufacturer Recommended Retail Price: EUR 599,000 (2014)
Designed for serious blue water cruising, the Moody 56 is a centre-cockpit yacht that is eminently capable of exploring the world's oceans. Cutting through an expanse of ocean under full sail - this is where the Moody 56 is in her element. Sailing her is certainly an experience to be relished. Engineered for stiffness and immensely strong, yet light enough to maintain optimum performance across the full range of ocean cruising conditions, no aspect of her design has been compromised.
The balance and power of her underwater sections and lead keel certainly give superb sail carrying ability and stability for swift passage times. Her sail plan, on Seldén's triple spreader rig, includes a cutter rig with self-tacking stay sail. Power, of course, has to be harnessed, and the Moody 56 can be sailed by just two people. Furling for the cutter rig and electrically powered primary winches are standard equipment, as is a 10hp bow thruster to aid manoeuvrability when mooring.
|Builder||A. H. Moody & Son Ltd|
|Length Overall:||17.70m 58'1|
|Hull Length:||17.06m 56'|
|Length Waterline:||14.02m 46'1|
|Draft (Fin Keel):||2.28m 7'6|
|Shoal Keel:||1.80m 5'11|
|Displacement:||20.06 Tonnes 44,132 lb|
|Ballast:||6.8 Tonnes 14,960 lb|
|Fresh Water:||995 ltr 210 Imp gal/252 US gal|
|Fuel:||682 ltr 150 Imp gal/180 US gal|
|Air Draft:||22.75m 74'6|
|Inmast furling Mainsail:||57.032m² 614 sq ft|
|Yankee:||77.065m² 830 sq ft|
|Self tacking Staysail:||23.177m² 249 sq ft|
HULL AND DECK:
- Hand laid glassfibre construction with isophthalic gelcoat backed by initial lay up of powder bound mat and isophthalic resin
- Balsa cored sandwich construction for increased panel stiffness and optimum weight distribution
- Hull stiffened by bonded in bulkheads plus frames and stringers
- Underwater sections from stem to keel further stiffened by utilising an Aramid
(Kevlar) laminate to increase impact resistance
- Transom includes powered hinge down transom door/swimming platform
- Swept teak laid ring deck plus forwardd and after coachroof areas
- Deck stiffened with balsa core, with plywood backing pads in way of deck fittings
- Deck edge incorporates raised bulwark with teak cap rail
- Inset cavita line in topsides
- Painted boot top, waterline and antifouling.
- Lead/antimony ballast keel, fin keel with vestigial bulb or optional shoal keel, with flattened bulb, both keels maintain the same centre of gravity position
- GRP semi balanced rudder mounted on half depth skeg with bronze heel fitting
- Rudder supported with stainless steel bar rudder stock.
- Electric powered self tailing genoa sheet winches (Lewmar 64CEST)
- Secondary winches (Lewmar 40CST)
- Mainsheet and staysail sheet winch (Lewmar 48CST)
- Mainsail control line winch (Lewmar 44CST)
- Mainsheet traveller winches (Lewmar 16CST)
- Mast mounted halyard winch
- Genoa sheet tracks with adjustable cars and traveller lines led aft to jamming turning blocks
- Genoa sheet turning blocks
- Staysail sheeted to self tacking track
- Mainsail control lines led aft through deck organisers and individual rope clutches.
SPARS AND RIGGING:
- Masthead rigged cutter with silver anodised mast and boom with stainless steel standing rigging
- Triple aft swept spreader rig, keel stepped
- Inmast furling mainsail system
- Selden Furlex furling stays on both forestay and inner forestay for Yankee and staysail.
- Option of fully battened mainsail with recirculating ball cars, single line reefing and lazy jacks
- Inmast furling mainsail, Furling Yankee, Furling self tacking staysail
- Sails by Hood. Deck Equipment
- Lewmar Ocean, reversible electric anchor windlass with handset control and separate switching at binnacle
- Stainless steel stemhead fitting with twin bronze bow rollers
- Pulpit, pushpit and stanchions in stainless steel
- Twin guardwires with boarding gates
- Pushpits with integral seats and gate access to hinging transom door/swimming platform with folding boarding ladder
- 8 stainless steel mooring cleats
- Teak handrails to coachroof
- Framed windscreen with sprayhood top (optional doghouse available)
- Large full width stern lazarette for deck storage plus vented gas bottle locker and bow chain locker.
- Wheel steering pedestal, Whitlock Reflex with pedestal mounted compass
- Engine instrument and starting panel pedestal mounted
- Bow thruster control pedestal mounted
- Cockpit seats and sole finished in teak
- Cockpit table
- Stainless steel grab handles each side of companionway
- Optional GRP doghouse will be offered over the forward section of the cockpit with stainless Steel edged screens and windows.
- Yanmar 4JH3-UT(B)E (100hp 73.6kw) 4 cylinder turbocharged diesel engine driving through
reduction gearbox, bronze P bracket and 3 bladed feathering propeller
- Engine instrument panel mounted in cockpit
- Fuel supply from tank fitted with remote fuel shut off cocks
- Sound insulated engine compartment
- Automatic fire extinguisher
- Thermostatically controlled blown ventilation to engine space
- Space available for generator installation.
- 10hp Sleipner sidepower bow thruster mounted in integrally moulded GRP tunnel
- Operated from control mounted on steering binnacle.
- Two engine driven alternators, one 110amp
- 24 volt alternator charging four heavy duty
- 24 volt batteries for yachts main electrical system plus four heavy duty 24 volt batteries for winch
systems plus one 50amp 12 volt alternator charging heavy duty 12 volt battery for yachts main engine circuit
- 240/220 Volt (or 110 volt if specified) shore support system with ring main, 40
amp 24 volt battery charger plus, 20 amp 12 volt charger shore powered sockets and immersion heater coil to calorifier hot water tank
- Batteries wired through isolator switches and distribution panel incorporating circuit breaker switches, indicator lights, battery state indicator, fuel and water gauges.
- Separate isolator switches for engine and domestic circuits
- Navigation lights, deck flood light and steaming light
- Lighting in all accommodation areas with overhead downlights independently switched reading lights and recessed pelmet lights, floor level courtesy lighting
- Cathodic protection with hull mounted anode.
- Interior furniture to be finished in a choice of attractive timber finishes, teak or cherry.
- Chain locker with access through foredeck hatch
- Watertight bulkhead
- Chain locker drains directly overboard.
- Centre line double berth with large storage lockers beneath
- Hanging lockers to port and starboard sides
- Curve fronted ships topside lockers to port and starboard
- Opening deck hatch gives light and ventilation.
STARBOARD GUEST CABIN
- Twin single berths, with stowage space beneath the lower berth
- Large hanging locker to forward bulkhead
- Vanity desk to aft bulkhead
- Opening deck hatch gives light and ventilation.
STARBOARD PASSAGE CABIN
- Accessed aft of navigation area the cabin comprises a single mid level height berth above built in locker/ sideboard unit (locker space sufficient to accommodate optional washing machine)
- This area can be used as a lobby entrance/dressing room to the aft cabin
- Opening portlight gives light and ventilation.
- Large centreline double berth, with deep drawer space beneath
- Twin curved seats flowing away from the berth with curved stowage lockers above
- Generous hanging locker space, vanity units with storage space and dresser unit for forward bulkhead
- Light and ventilation is provided by opening deck hatch, portlights and hull topsides windows.
EN SUITE TOILET/SHOWER
- En suite to the aft stateroom, the compartment comprises a separate shower stall complete
with hinging door and electric waste water pump out via grey water box
- large bowl marine toilet and wash hand basin
- Towel rail, toothbrush and glass holder, toilet roll holder
- The compartment is finished in attractive wipe clean laminate finishes
- Opening portlight for light and ventilation.
- Finished in attractive, wipe clean laminate surfaces
- Wash basin, marine toilet (large bowl), separate shower stall with hinging door
- Hot and cold pressurised water, electrically pumped shower waste water discharge to grey water box
- Towel rail, toothbrush and glass holder, toilet roll holder
- Floor in decorative teak finish in way of toilet and basin, teak grating in shower area
- Stowage locker
- Opening deck hatch provides light and ventilation.
- Large C shaped settee to starboard side with extending leaf dining table
- Directors chairs provide additional seating to all sides of the dining table
- Generous stowage space beneath settee, tankage beneath saloon floor
- Built in 2 seater sofa to port side
- Outboard of settee and sofa are topsides lockers with hull windows between, lockers will accommodate fitment of TV, Video and hi-fi entertainment systems
- Forward port sofa is a large cocktail locker
- Large fore and aft and forward facing saloon windows light the saloon area
- Opening deck hatches and dorade vents provide ventilation.
- Navigation desk with chart stowage space beneath lid, drawer space beneath chart table
- Draw out mounting for lap top computers plus pencil and ruler drawer space above chart table - Furniture units to incorporate space for additional navigational instruments, electronics, and electrical distribution board
- Chart table seat covered in water resistant covering
- Wet hanging locker aft of chart table seat.
- Large U shaped galley, one step down from saloon
- Twin sinks in Avonite worktop, sinks fitted with electric pump out
- Large stainless steel lined front opening refrigerator plus separate top opening stainless steel lined freezer
- Gimballed 4 burner cooker complete with crash bar
- Microwave, wired to shore power circuit
- Extractor fan built in above cooker
- Generous work top space with deeply fiddled edges
- Stowage lockers for food, crockery, pots and pans plus cutlery drawers.
- Electronic speed/log and echo sounder
- Electric windlass, 25Kg Delta anchor, 40 metres calibrated chain
- Automatic bilge pump, plus manual bilge pump
- Switch over valve allows engine bay to be pumped from ships bilge pump
- Stereo radio/CD Player
- 3 dry powder fire extinguishers plus automatic extinguisher in engine bay
- Mooring warps, fenders, emergency tiller, folding sprayhood top to windscreen
- 2 Directors chairs. Optional Layout to Starboard
- Guest Cabin
- An option of creating an office work station is offered in this cabin
- A hinge up single berth is fitted at mid height and a work station/desk plus locker units are fitted
through out this area.
The moment you step inside the Moody 56's raised saloon, you know this is no ordinary craft. With natural light flooding in through her windows, it is a space that invites you to relax. It sets a standard that the rest of the accommodation more than lives up to. Her three private cabins are luxuriously proportioned, and the owner's stateroom includes full en suite facilities, a separate shower stall and generous wardrobe space. The spacious galley has all the facilities to cater for extended periods at sea. There is also a large and highly functional chart area.
But it is not just her facilities that set the Moody 56 apart. The quality and understated elegance of her finish, which includes the lavish use of lacquered woods and a choice of fine furnishing fabrics, is unique in a boat of her class. If ever proof were needed of the Moody philosophy that a yacht can only be judged under full sail, the Moody 56 amply provides it. The Moody 56 is RCD compliant.